My newest rod build; olive graphite, first grip I ever made

This is where users can post pictures of fly rods they have built or have had built.

Moderator: flyguy

flyguy

My newest rod build; olive graphite, first grip I ever made

Post by flyguy »

Here are some pics of my latest fly rod building project, an olive graphite 9' 3pc 5/6wt. It has American Tackle gold zirconia single foot guides, American Tackle braided window titanium reel seat with coralwood insert, and white YLI #100 silk thread. The ferrules are wrapped with olive Gudebrod nylon thread. This was my first attempt to build a grip for a fly rod. When I put the inlays i made from burnt burl and natural cork on my desk, I arranged them in a spiral pattern and liked it so much I decided to do the entire grip in a spiral pattern.
Attachments
This is the spiral pattern that inspired my grip.  I built the rod around my idea for my grip.
This is the spiral pattern that inspired my grip. I built the rod around my idea for my grip.
a.JPG (23.24 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
This is the grip after all of the inlay pieces were epoxied together and before it has been sanded/shaped
This is the grip after all of the inlay pieces were epoxied together and before it has been sanded/shaped
b.JPG (51.45 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
This is the finished grip after I made it the desired shape and made the inlet for the recessed reel seat.
This is the finished grip after I made it the desired shape and made the inlet for the recessed reel seat.
d.JPG (57.46 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
This is the fly rod blank that I decided on.  It is just a generic blank, but I thought the color would fit my grip well.
This is the fly rod blank that I decided on. It is just a generic blank, but I thought the color would fit my grip well.
g.JPG (41.99 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
This is the reel seat, guides, and winding check i selected to build this rod.
This is the reel seat, guides, and winding check i selected to build this rod.
h.JPG (60.86 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
This is the assembled rod, before the first coat of finish is applied.  I used low build Flex-Coat, so I needed two applications of finish.  Note the white color that applying the finish made very close to clear.
This is the assembled rod, before the first coat of finish is applied. I used low build Flex-Coat, so I needed two applications of finish. Note the white color that applying the finish made very close to clear.
i.JPG (33.18 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
These are 3 guides placed side by side after the finish has been applied (and cured) to show the transparency of the wraps.
These are 3 guides placed side by side after the finish has been applied (and cured) to show the transparency of the wraps.
j.JPG (73.02 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
This is a coseup of the grip, reel seat, and 3 rod sections.
This is a coseup of the grip, reel seat, and 3 rod sections.
k.JPG (31.73 KiB) Viewed 7912 times
Here is a closeup of the label I got from mudhole.  After the problems I had with my first attempt to use a label on the rod before this one, I will work on my handwriting for the next rod I build.  I do not think its worth the extra hastle to have the label.  It does look much better than in the picture though, at an angle, it looks like the writing disappears
Here is a closeup of the label I got from mudhole. After the problems I had with my first attempt to use a label on the rod before this one, I will work on my handwriting for the next rod I build. I do not think its worth the extra hastle to have the label. It does look much better than in the picture though, at an angle, it looks like the writing disappears
l.JPG (52.97 KiB) Viewed 7913 times
nathanmatthews

Re: My newest rod build; olive graphite, first grip I ever made

Post by nathanmatthews »

That's awesome!