This is where users can post pictures of fly rods they have built or have had built.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Here are some pics of my latest fly rod building project, an olive graphite 9' 3pc 5/6wt. It has American Tackle gold zirconia single foot guides, American Tackle braided window titanium reel seat with coralwood insert, and white YLI #100 silk thread. The ferrules are wrapped with olive Gudebrod nylon thread. This was my first attempt to build a grip for a fly rod. When I put the inlays i made from burnt burl and natural cork on my desk, I arranged them in a spiral pattern and liked it so much I decided to do the entire grip in a spiral pattern.
- This is the spiral pattern that inspired my grip. I built the rod around my idea for my grip.
- a.JPG (23.24 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
- This is the grip after all of the inlay pieces were epoxied together and before it has been sanded/shaped
- b.JPG (51.45 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
- This is the finished grip after I made it the desired shape and made the inlet for the recessed reel seat.
- d.JPG (57.46 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
- This is the fly rod blank that I decided on. It is just a generic blank, but I thought the color would fit my grip well.
- g.JPG (41.99 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
- This is the reel seat, guides, and winding check i selected to build this rod.
- h.JPG (60.86 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
- This is the assembled rod, before the first coat of finish is applied. I used low build Flex-Coat, so I needed two applications of finish. Note the white color that applying the finish made very close to clear.
- i.JPG (33.18 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
- These are 3 guides placed side by side after the finish has been applied (and cured) to show the transparency of the wraps.
- j.JPG (73.02 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
- This is a coseup of the grip, reel seat, and 3 rod sections.
- k.JPG (31.73 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
- Here is a closeup of the label I got from mudhole. After the problems I had with my first attempt to use a label on the rod before this one, I will work on my handwriting for the next rod I build. I do not think its worth the extra hastle to have the label. It does look much better than in the picture though, at an angle, it looks like the writing disappears
- l.JPG (52.97 KiB) Viewed 9052 times